The USC School of Cinematic Arts Summer Program welcomes many minor students every summer. Minor students typically represent 20-25% of the Summer Program student body and create some of the most interesting and fresh work during the summer.
MINOR APPLICANT PARAMETERS:
- Minimum age: 16 years old (by the start of the program)
- Required Documents:
- Unofficial/official most recent transcripts
- Letter of good standing from a school official on school letterhead
- No prior cinema experience is required
Below are a few pertinent items regarding our Minor Program:
We offer on-campus housing for any minor students needing accommodations. This is also highly recommended even for those who live locally. Living on-campus is not only convenient, but creates opportunities to socialize, network and interact with their fellow filmmakers outside of class.
Below are some detailed information regarding on-campus minor housing:
- The students are supervised by Residential Advisors (RA's), who are typically full-time USC School of Cinematic Arts students.
- Students are restricted to a set physical parameter around campus. The boundaries will be outlined when the students arrive.
- Exceptions for the above:
- An official event for the SCA Summer Program
- An outing related to the student's course sanctioned by the class
- The official form is filled out by the student's parent/legal guardian
- Each student will be assigned a roommate randomly if one is not requested.
- Each student will be required to abide by the curfew law of Los Angeles as well as the curfew placed by the Summer Program. Times will be outlined in the Housing Packet upon acceptance.
****Please note that housing costs are separate and NOT covered in the student tuition. ****
We do NOT recommend that our Summer Program minor students purchase a summer meal plan as they are very costly, restrictive and not conducive to the rigorous class schedules of the students.
USC has several dining options on and directly off campus, including the brand new University Village. These meals can be paid for with cash, credit/debit card, or by using the USC student ID card.
*Please note that meal costs are NOT included in the student tuition.
ACTIVITIES AND SPECIAL SEMINARS
- Access to the Uytengsu Aquatics Center
- Special events with industry guests
- Pre-release movie screenings
- Special workshops and seminars
- USC Lyons Fitness Center and University Village Fitness Center
- A summer membership fee will need to be paid at the gym in order to gain access.
- Price TBD
We do not schedule many activities for the minor student outside of their field of study given the rigorous academic schedule. When students are not in class they are prepping and filming projects, writing, producing and editing.
The USC Engemann Student Health Center is available for our students to use when any health concerns arise. Any minor student seeking health services will be required to bring the Parental Consent form. This form is provided once the student has been accepted into the program.
Students must also come with their personal health care card issued to them by their health care provider.
The University determines tuition and it is based on the number of units in your desired class. Summer 2019 tuition at USC is $1,863.00 (USD) per unit. You can multiply that by the number of units you are going to sign up for, to determine your base tuition cost.
For example, a two-unit class would be $3,726.00 (USD) for tuition only.2 units x $1,863.00 = $3,726.00
4 units x $1,863.00 = $7,452.00
6 units x $1,863.00 = $11,178.00
8 units x $1,863.00 = $14,904.00
At the beginning of each online detailed class description you will find the number of units for each class as well as the dates, days and times it meets.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATIONINFORMATION PACKETS
Upon acceptance to the Summer Program, several information packets will be emailed to each students and parents/legal guardians before the start of the program. Each packet will contain important information and required forms.
The first information packet will be emailed approximately 2-4 weeks after acceptance.
This packet will include the following required forms:
- Application for USC Minor Housing 2019
- Good Neighbor Policy & Contract
- Parental Consent & Release Form
- Medical history form
Minor students will need have a waiver signed by the student's parent/legal guardian in order to access any of USC Recreational Facilities, such as the gym and swimming pool. Instructions on how to set this up will be given in the information packets that will be sent out upon acceptance.
MANDATORY STUDENT ORIENTATION
Orientation Date/Time: Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 2:00 pm. The location will be disclosed at a later time.
SUMMER PROGRAM CONTACT INFORMATION
For more information please email the office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you and we look forward to seeing you in Summer 2019.
- Exceptions for the above: