The USC School of Cinematic Arts Summer Program welcomes many minor students (ages 16+) every summer. Minor students typically represent 20-25% of the Summer Program student body and create some of the most interesting work during the summer.
This is not a summer camp. The program is rigorous, involving a variety of classroom study, homework assignments, activities, and events that are intellectually demanding and time-consuming. Students will have the opportunity to experience academic life at the collegiate level and will be attending fully accredited USC college courses.
No matter the program or course, all students are held to the academic expectations of full-time USC students and are responsible for their own academic experience. It is the individual student's responsibility to manage their time and set priorities for homework and class requirements.
Below are a few pertinent items regarding our Minor Program:
- MINOR APPLICATION PARAMETERS
- FINANCIAL AID
- HEALTH SERVICES
- MEAL OPTIONS
- STUDENT ORIENTATION
- NON-CLASS ACTIVITIES
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
- SUMMER PROGRAM CONTACT INFORMATION
- Minimum age: 16 years old (by the start of the program)
- Required Documents:
- Unofficial/official most recent transcripts
- The USC SCA Recommendation Form
- Must be filled out and emailed back to us by the student's school counselor or official.
- No prior cinema experience is required
- If the application was submitted between November 1 and December 31, notifications will be sent out starting the second week of January once the university is back in session.
- If the application was submitted January 1 and on, notifications will be sent out approximately 2 weeks after the day of submittal.
- Summer 2022 Applications Opens: November 1
- Summer 2022 Applications Deadline: June 17
- International Student (with valid visas) Deadline: June 3
- International Student (without valid visas) Application Deadline: April 8
- For full college credit
- 2, 3, 4, 6, or 8 credit units
- Graded with a Letter grade
- Provided with the same facilities and equipment used during the regular school year by full time SCA students.
- The students are supervised by Residential Advisors (RA's), who are typically full-time USC School of Cinematic Arts students.
- Students are restricted to a set physical parameter around campus. The boundaries will be outlined when the students arrive.
- Exceptions for the above:
- An official event for the SCA Summer Program
- An outing related to the student's course sanctioned by the class
- The official form is filled out by the student's parent/legal guardian
- Each student will be assigned a roommate randomly if one is not requested.
- Each student will be required to abide by the curfew law of Los Angeles as well as the curfew placed by the Summer Program. Times will be outlined in the Housing Packet upon acceptance.
- Exceptions for the above:
- Date: Sunday, June 26, 2022
- Time: 2:00 pm.
*Dates and times are subject to change.
- Special events with industry guests
- Pre-release movie screenings
- Special workshops and seminars
MINOR APPLICANT PARAMETERS:
Summer Program applications opens on November 1 for the next summer. Once you select the course(s) you wish to apply for, the website will automatically move you in to the application section.
The SCA Summer Program has a rolling admission and notifications are sent out in the following manner:
For more detailed information about the application please visit the Online Application page.
Important Date(s) for SUMMER 2022:
Information for international students please visit the International Students page
The USC School of Cinematics Summer Program offers classes in many different aspects of filmmaking, such as:
All classes are:
The majority of our classes are taught by regular faculty members from the USC School of Cinematic Arts, who are also leading industry professionals.
For more details on the classes we offer, please go to the Classes page.
The University determines tuition based on the number of units in your desired class(es). Summer 2022 tuition at USC is $2,035 (USD) per unit. To determine your base tuition cost, multiply the collective number of units from your course(s) selection by the USC tuition value. The unit count for each class can be found in the course description.
For example, a two-unit class would be $4,070.00 (USD) for tuition only.
2 units x $2,035.00 = $4,070.00
4 units x $2,035.00 = $8,140.00
6 units x $2,035.00 = $12,210.00
8 units x $2,035.00 = $16,280.00
* Please note that this amount does not include all mandatory/optional fees.
If accepted into the program, a full tuition calculation worksheet will be sent.
At the beginning of each online detailed class description you will find the number of units for each class as well as the dates, days and times it meets.
The SCA Summer Program does not offer financial aid to non-USC students. However, outside loans, scholarships, and other institution's financial aid may be applied towards the program.
We offer on-campus housing for any minor students needing accommodations. This is also highly recommended even for those who live locally. Living on-campus is not only convenient, but creates opportunities to socialize, network and interact with their fellow filmmakers outside of class.
Below are some detailed information regarding on-campus minor housing:
SUMMER 2022 MOVE-IN:
Date: Saturday, June 25
Time: 8 am — 5 PM
Security Deposit: $500
Housing Cost: $2100 - $2600
Housing costs are separate and not covered in the tuition.
***Please note that Housing Costs are subject to changes.
The USC Engemann Student Health Center is available for our students to use when any health concerns arise. A required student health information form will be given out upon acceptance and must be turned in prior arrival to the program.
A mandatory student health center fee will be applied upon registration into our program. Typically between $20 - $30 a week. This fee cannot be waived.
A meal plan can be purchased separately after students have been registered for their classes through the USCard Services' website; however, we do not recommend that our Summer Program students purchase a summer meal plan as they are restrictive and not conducive to the rigorous class schedules of the students. If you plan on purchasing a meal plan for the summer, please note that once purchased, it cannot be refunded for any reason.
USC has multiple dining options on and directly off campus, including the University Village. These meals can be paid for with cash, credit/debit card, or by using the USC student ID card.
*Please note that meal costs are NOT included in the student tuition.
Orientation is mandatory for all accepted students. Orientation usually lasts about 2 hours and is only for Summer Program students.
ACTIVITIES AND SPECIAL SEMINARS
We do not schedule any extracurricular activities as this is an academic commitment and not a summer camp.
We do not schedule many activities for the minor student outside of their field of study given the rigorous academic schedule. When students are not in class they are prepping and filming projects, writing, producing and editing.
Upon acceptance into the Summer Program, more detailed information will be given with directions on how to set up the student's SCA Community intranet. SCA Community is an online student resource that contains detailed information about the Summer Program policies, rules, documents, and other valuable resources.
The first information packet will be emailed approximately 2 - 4 weeks after acceptance.
FITNESS CENTER WAIVERS
Accepted students will need to sign a waiver in order to access any of USC Recreational Facilities, such as the gym and swimming pool. Instructions on how to set this up will be given in the information packets that will be sent out upon acceptance.
SUMMER PROGRAM CONTACT INFORMATION
Thank you and we look forward to seeing you in the summer!