The USC School of Cinematic Arts Summer Program welcomes many minor students (ages 16+) every summer. Minor students typically represent 20-25% of the Summer Program student body and create some of the most interesting work during the summer.
This is not a summer camp. The program is rigorous, involving a variety of classroom study, homework assignments, activities, and events that are intellectually demanding and time-consuming. Students will have the opportunity to experience academic life at the collegiate level and will be attending fully accredited USC college courses.
No matter the program or course, all students are held to the academic expectations of full-time USC students and are responsible for their own academic experience. It is the individual student's responsibility to manage their time and set priorities for homework and class requirements.
Below are a few pertinent items regarding our Minor Program:
- MINOR APPLICATION PARAMETERS
- FINANCIAL AID
- HEALTH SERVICES
- MEAL OPTIONS
- STUDENT ORIENTATION
- NON-CLASS ACTIVITIES
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
- SUMMER PROGRAM CONTACT INFORMATION
- Minimum age: 16 years old (by the start of the program)
- Required Documents:
- Unofficial/official most recent transcripts
- The USC SCA Recommendation Form
- Must be filled out and emailed back to us by the student's school counselor or official.
- No prior cinema experience is required
- If the application was submitted between November 1 and December 31, notifications will be sent out starting the second week of January once the university is back in session.
- If the application was submitted January 1 and on, notifications will be sent out approximately 2 weeks after the day of submittal.
- Application Opens: November 1
- Application Deadline: June 18
- For full college credit
- 2, 3, 4, 6, or 8 credit units
- Graded with a Letter grade
- Provided with the same facilities and equipment used during the regular school year by full time SCA students.
- Date: Tuesday, June 22, 2021
- Time: 11:00 am, 2:00 pm or 6:00 pm
- Special events with industry guests via Zoom
- Special workshops and seminars via Zoom
MINOR APPLICANT PARAMETERS:
Summer Program applications opens on November 1 for the next summer. Once you select the course(s) you wish to apply for, the website will automatically move you in to the application section.
The SCA Summer Program has a rolling admission and notifications are sent out in the following manner:
For more detailed information about the application please visit the Online Application page.
Important Date(s) for SUMMER 2021:
The USC School of Cinematics Summer Program offers classes in many different aspects of filmmaking, such as:
All classes are:
The majority of our classes are taught by regular faculty members from the USC School of Cinematic Arts, who are also leading industry professionals.
For more details on the classes we offer, please go to the Classes page.
The University determines tuition and it is based on the number of units in your desired class. Summer 2021 tuition at USC is $1,995.00 (USD) per unit. To determine your base tuition cost, multiply the collective number of units from your course(s) selection by the USC tuition value.
For example, a two-unit class would be $3,990.00 (USD) for tuition only.
2 units x $1,995.00 = $3,990.00
4 units x $1,995.00 = $7,980.00
6 units x $1,995.00 = $11,970.00
8 units x $1,995.00 = $15,960.00
* Please note that this amount does not include all mandatory/optional fees.
If accepted into the program, a full tuition calculation worksheet will be sent.
At the beginning of each online detailed class description you will find the number of units for each class as well as the dates, days and times it meets.
The SCA Summer Program does not offer financial aid to non-USC students. However, outside loans, scholarships, and other institution's financial aid may be applied towards the program.
Housing is unavailable this summer due to safety concerns with the COVID-19 pandemic.
The USC Engemann Student Health Center services are unavailable this summer due to safety concerns with the COVID-19 pandemic.
Meal plans are not available this summer.
Orientation is mandatory for all accepted students. Orientation usually lasts about 30 minutes to an hour and is only for Summer Program students.
*Dates and times are subject to change.
ACTIVITIES AND SPECIAL SEMINARS
Please visit the School of Cinematic Art Events website at https://cinema.usc.edu/events/index.cfm for more details.
Upon acceptance into the Summer Program, more detailed information will be given with directions on how to set up the student's SCA Community intranet. SCA Community is an online student resource that contains detailed information about the Summer Program policies, rules, documents, and other valuable resources.
SUMMER PROGRAM CONTACT INFORMATION
Thank you and we look forward to seeing you in the summer!