Each year our Summer Program welcomes students from all over the world. International students may apply for and study in courses covering multiple aspects of filmmaking and the entertainment industry from one of the most prolific film schools in the United States.
Below are a few pertinent items regarding our Summer Program International Students.
- LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
- FINANCIAL AID
- HEALTH SERVICES
- MEAL OPTIONS
- STUDENT ORIENTATION
- NON-CLASS ACTIVITIES
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
- SUMMER PROGRAM CONTACT INFORMATION
- Average TOEFL Score: 95
- Average IELTS Score: 7
- USC's institution code for TOEFL Registration is 4852. No Department Code.
- F-1 visa (from any USA school)
- J-1 visa
- O-1 visa
- E-2 visa
- Green Card/Permanent Resident Card students are also welcome to apply.
If you have a different visa and are not sure if it is accepted, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Upon acceptance in the program, documents and instructions will be sent to start the process.
- All required documents must be submitted in a timely fashion in order to avoid time constraints preventing issuance of the visa.
- An email invoice will be sent with the USC I-20 processing fee.
- Once the processing fee has been paid, an I-20 will be created by USC.
- Once the I-20 has been received, pay the government SEVIS fee.
- Using your SEVIS number, make a visa appointment with the US Embassy/Consulate.
- The F-1 visa must be obtained outside of the United States.
- Students must enter the USA with the F-1 visa for the USC Summer Program.
- REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
- Copy of the student's passport (must be valid through the duration of stay within the United States).
- Proof of existing insurance and medical coverage.
- Proof of funding
- Documents that provide proof of funds to cover both the student's full tuition and $3500 of living expenses.
- For example: If the tuition is $5000 then add the $3500, the total that needs to be shown in the Proof of Funding is at least $8500.
- Living Expenses is the estimated amount that the university deems necessary in order for students to live comfortably while studying at USC. Please note that this amount is not the actual value of room and board. Students just need to prove that they have at least this amount for living expenses.
- USC I-20 Processing Fee: $390
- SEVIS Fee: $350
- If the application was submitted between November 1 and December 31, notifications will be sent out starting the second week of January once the university is back in session.
- If the application was submitted January 1 and on, notifications will be sent out approximately 2 weeks after the day of submittal.
- Application Opens: November 1
- Application Deadline (International Students in need of a visa): April 2
- Application Deadline (International Students with a valid visa): June 4
- Application Deadline: June 18
- For full college credit
- 2, 3, 4, 6, or 8 credit units
- Graded with a Letter grade
- Provided with the same facilities and equipment used during the regular school year by full time SCA students.
- 18 years old and up
- Upon acceptance, an informational pack will be sent out via email.
- 16 and 17 years old
- For more information please view the Information for Minors web page.
- Date: Sunday, June 27, 2021
- Time: 2:00 pm.
*Dates and times are subject to change.
- Special events with industry guests
- Pre-release movie screenings
- Special workshops and seminars
- USC Lyons Fitness Center, University Village Fitness Center, and Uytengsu Aquatics Center
- Special workshops and seminars
- USC Lyons Fitness Center and University Village Fitness Center
- A summer membership fee will need to be paid at the gym in order to gain access.
- Price: $55 (2019)
A strong command of idiomatic, conversational English is essential, and thus an important factor in acceptance. Most information is provided to students via lecture.TOEFL/IELTS SCORES
International students are required to submit a TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) unless their first language is English or they have a degree from a college or university in an English-speaking country.
These scores may not be more than two years old at the time of application.
USC requires all international students to have a valid visa in order to study in the School of Cinematic Arts Summer Program. Accepted students may apply for an F-1 temporary student visa from USC. Upon acceptance into the program, all required instructions and documents will be given to the student. Please see below for other accepted visas:
Please note: B1/B2 tourist visas and the ESTA visa waivers are NOT valid to study within our program.
OTHER ACCEPTED VISAS
F-1 VISA PROCESS
Upon acceptance into the program, international students in need of an F-1 visa will be sent information of what is required.
Please be aware that visa processes can take 4 â€“ 6 weeks to completely process, so all documents and responses must be turned in promptly when asked for. Below is a sample of required documents needed.
VISA PROCESSING COST
Please note that all costs below are estimates and the final cost may differ.
There are a few fees associated with the F1 process. Including the USC I-20 processing fee and the SEVIS fee, which can total up to $700 USD.
***If the student has entered the USA on a different visa, the student is required to leave and re-enter the USA on the USC issued F-1 visa.***
If you have questions about other visas, please email the summer program office at email@example.com
Summer Program applications opens on November 1 for the next summer. Once you select the course(s) you wish to apply for, the website will automatically move you in to the application section.
The SCA Summer Program has a rolling admission and notifications are sent out in the following manner:
For more detailed information about the application please visit the Online Application page.
Important Date(s) for SUMMER 2021:
The USC School of Cinematics Summer Program offers classes in many different aspects of filmmaking, such as:
All classes are:
The majority of our classes are taught by regular faculty members from the USC School of Cinematic Arts, who are also leading industry professionals.
For more details on the classes we offer, please go to the Classes page.
The University determines tuition and it is based on the number of units in your desired class. Summer 2021 tuition at USC is $1,995.00 (USD) per unit. To determine your base tuition cost, multiply the collective number of units from your course(s) selection by the USC tuition value.
For example, a two-unit class would be $3,990.00 (USD) for tuition only.
2 units x $1,995.00 = $3,990.00
4 units x $1,995.00 = $7,980.00
6 units x $1,995.00 = $11,970.00
8 units x $1,995.00 = $15,960.00
* Please note that this amount does not include all mandatory/optional fees.
If accepted into the program, a full tuition calculation worksheet will be sent.
At the beginning of each online detailed class description you will find the number of units for each class as well as the dates, days and times it meets.
The SCA Summer Program does not offer financial aid to non-USC students. However, outside loans, scholarships, and other institution's financial aid may be applied towards the program.
USC housing is available for any students needing accommodations. Applying for housing is a different procedure for adults and minors.
*Please note that housing costs are separate and NOT covered in the student tuition.
The USC Engemann Student Health Center is available for our students to use when any health concerns arise. A required student health information form will be given out upon acceptance and must be turned in prior to arrival to the program.
A mandatory student health center fee will be applied upon registration into our program
A meal plan can be purchased separately after students have been registered for their classes through the USCard Services' website; however, we do not recommend that our Summer Program students purchase a summer meal plan as they are restrictive and not conducive to the rigorous class schedules of the students. If you plan on purchasing a meal plan for the summer, please note that once purchased, it cannot be refunded for any reason.
USC has multiple dining options on and directly off campus, including the University Village. These meals can be paid for with cash, credit/debit card, or by using the USC student ID card.
*Please note that meal costs are NOT included in the student tuition.
Orientation is mandatory for all accepted students. Orientation usually lasts about 2 hours and is only for Summer Program students.
ACTIVITIES AND SPECIAL SEMINARS
We do not schedule any extracurricular activities as this is an academic commitment and not a summer camp.
We do not schedule many activities for the minor student outside of their field of study given the rigorous academic schedule. When students are not in class they are prepping and filming projects, writing, producing and editing.
Upon acceptance into the Summer Program, more detailed information will be given with directions on how to set up the student's SCA Community intranet. SCA Community is an online student resource that contains detailed information about the Summer Program policies, rules, documents, and other valuable resources.
The first information packet will be emailed approximately 2 - 4 weeks after acceptance.
FITNESS CENTER WAIVERS
Accepted students will need to sign a waiver in order to access any of USC Recreational Facilities, such as the gym and swimming pool. Instructions on how to set this up will be given in the information packets that will be sent out upon acceptance.
SUMMER PROGRAM CONTACT INFORMATION
For more information please email the office at firstname.lastname@example.org