Student Level: All
Jun 26 - Aug 4 Be Added To Waitlist
In-Person (Ages 16+)
Schedule: Tues/Thurs 9:00am - 12:50pm
Orientation: Jun 19, 2023 at 2:00 PM
Max. Seats: 18
Faculty: Blush, Doug
You may also enjoy one of the following courses:
About the Class
With the widespread success of documentary films such as Three Identical Strangers, An Inconvenient Truth, Free Solo, and March of the Penguins documentary films are making their mark on the big screen and at the box office.
Documentary students will gain the necessary skills to successfully create their own original short non-fiction film. Exploration of techniques, methods and styles of the non-fiction film through lectures and demonstrations, as well as, current industry professionals as guest speakers.
- Student will get an intensive hands-on approach to the non-fiction form, emphasizing:
- Conceive and research topical ideas
- Directing, producing and editing for non-fiction
- Scripting non-fiction film material
- Creating a coherent visual style
- Effective audio track
- Gaining an overview of the marketplace
All necessary equipment and production resources will be available for student use including digital cameras, tripods, grip gear, lighting kits and access to sound stages.
Notable Documentary USC filmmakers through the years:
- Patricia Thio – Emmy Award winner (using a film made in this Documentary class)
- Bill Couturie – Emmy Award winner
- Ben Shedd – Emmy Award winner
- Kennedy Wheatly – Student Academy Award winner
- All projects are created outside of scheduled class time.
- Additional tutorials are taught outside scheduled class dates and times.
- All dates and times of the course are subject to change.
INSTRUCTOR(S): Doug Blush