Inside the Business of Film and Television
Student Level: All
Jun 27 - Aug 5 Add to cart
In-Person (Ages 16+)
Schedule: Tuesday & Thursday 5:50pm -10:00pm (PDT)
Orientation: Jun 26, 2022 at 2:00 PM
Max. Seats: 30
Faculty: Daniel Noah
You may also enjoy one of the following courses:
About the Class
The purpose of this course is to de-mystify the behind-the-scenes world of Hollywood. You will learn exactly how the business works from people who are in it now and who are succeeding at what they do. You will come away with a full understanding of the process, a game plan on how to embark on your career, and specific strategies for improving your odds. Guest speakers will include prominent agents, executives, producers, writers and directors. This course is specifically designed for emerging filmmakers, producers, and screenwriters. It is taught from a very practical point-of-view with an emphasis on how to navigate the system and get your career started. Our goal is to spike your learning curve so you know what the business expects.
Topics for discussion:
- The major studio system and how it operates from the top down
- Getting and working with agents and managers
- A critical view of the current spec market
- Enhancing your "voice" as a writer
- Development from a very detailed perspective
- Script analysis, coverage, and story notes
- Television development and pilot production
- Making and distributing independent feature films
- Film festivals and film sales
- Networking and breaking into Hollywood
Students will be expected to read many scripts from the best writers in the business. These are the scripts that got their authors noticed in the first place thus enabling you to see what Hollywood wants from new talent. There will be numerous low-budget independent films to watch. These are again the films that got their directors noticed. You will also be expected to participate actively in the class discussions.
In addition, there will be many optional screenings outside of class with filmmaker Q&A's. This course is intense, frank, and you will get a very good idea of what it takes to succeed as a writer, director, or producer. There will be at least a dozen prominent guest speakers for this course.
Guest Speakers from previous years:
- Kyle Alvarez - Stanford Prison Experiment, 13 Reasons Why on Netflix
- Luke Rivett - Manager, Anonymous Content
- Sara Adina Smith - Writer/Director, Buster's Mal Heart, Hanna on Amazon
- Vincent Scordino - Head of Marketing, Amazon Studios
- Adam Egypt Mortimer - Writer/Director, Daniel Isn't Real
- Danielle Aufiero - Casting Director for Spectre Vision, The OA on Netflix
- Josh Safran - Showrunner, Gossip Girl, Smash, Quantico
- Brooks Brown - Game day, Hero VR, worked for Geoprge Lucas and James Cameron
- Mali Elfman - Producer, Fun Size Horror, The Party's Just Beginning
- Nate Bolotin - Foreign Sales, XYZ Films
- Beau Stapleton - Entertainment Attorney
- Elijah Wood - Actor/Producer
*Should the SCA Summer Program move to an online format for Summer 2022, this course will be CONVERTED to an online class.
*Please note that dates and times of the course are subject to changes. Additional tutorials are taught during outside hours.
INSTRUCTOR(S): Daniel Noah