First-Year/Freshmen Application Instructions
A first-year/freshman applicant is any student currently enrolled in high school or who has graduated from high school and never attended college.
No specific high school curriculum is prescribed or required, though students offered admission typically pursue the most rigorous program available to them in English, mathematics, science, social studies, foreign language and the arts.
Please carefully review and follow the application instructions for first-year applicants on USC's Undergraduate Admission website.
The School of Cinematic Arts is not participating in early action. In order to apply to one of our six divisions you must first select your Preferred admission plan on the Common Application to Regular Decision.
Application Deadline: December 1st
Admission Notification Date: By April 1st
In order to be considered for admission, all required applications and materials must be submitted by the deadline. Late applications will not be considered. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all materials are submitted.
The School of Cinematic Arts cannot verify receipt of any application materials. Applicants may check their USC Applicant Portal and SlideRoom Application portal for the status of materials.
First-year/freshmen applicants must submit the following materials:
USC Undergraduate Application: Common Application
- The Common Application can be accessed at The Common Application website. Please note that the Common Application must be submitted by the deadline in order to be considered for admission.
- Submit supplemental materials, such as transcripts, letters of recommendation and if applicable, test scores, to USC's Office of Admission. View a checklist of required materials here.
Letters of Recommendation
- Two letters of recommendation in no particular format are required. At least one letter of recommendation is required from either your school counselor or a teacher from your school. Counselor Recommendations and Teacher Evaluations submitted via the Common Application will be used towards the requirement and do not need to be resubmitted via the SlideRoom Application. Any additional letters may be submitted via the SlideRoom.
All applicants are required to submit supplemental materials via the SlideRoom Application. Please be sure to submit the correct SlideRoom Application for the program you intend to apply for and your incoming status.
If you apply to more than one SCA program as your 1st choice and 2nd choice major, you must submit a SlideRoom Application for each program.
Select the program(s) you intend to apply for to view SlideRoom Application instructions.
- Animation + Digital Arts Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Cinema & Media Studies Bachelor of Arts
- Film & Television Production Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Game Art Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Game Development and Interactive Design Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Themed Entertainment Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Media Arts + Practice Bachelor of Arts
- Writing for Screen & Television Bachelor of Fine Arts