External (non-current USC) Transfer Application Instructions
An external (non-current USC) transfer applicant is any student who has completed at least one college course after graduating from high school.
Transfer applicants should make satisfactory progress toward meeting USC General Education requirements and complete USC's Writing and Math requirements:
- Complete the equivalent of USC's lower-division Writing requirement, Writing 130.
- Meet the minimum Math requirement by demonstrating a mastery of Algebra II in high school, or Intermediate Algebra in college with a grade of C or better.
Please carefully review and follow the application instructions for transfer applicants on USC's Undergraduate Admission website.
- December 1st: Animation + Digital Arts & Writing for Screen & Television
- February 15th: Cinema & Media Studies, Film & Television Production, Game Art, Interactive Entertainment, Media Arts + Practice
- An admission decision or request for more information, such as spring grades, by May 31st
Admission Notification Date:
In order to be considered for admission, all required applications and materials must be submitted by the deadline. Late applications will not be considered. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all materials are submitted.
The School of Cinematic Arts cannot verify receipt of any application materials. Applicants may check their USC Applicant Portal and SlideRoom Application portal for the status of materials.
Transfer applicants must submit the following materials:
USC Undergraduate Application:
- The Common Application and USC Writing Supplement can be accessed at The Common Application website.
- Submit supplemental materials, such as transcripts and if applicable, test scores, to USC's Office of Admission. View a checklist of required materials here.
Letters of Recommendation
- Two letters of recommendation in no particular format are required. At least one letter of recommendation is required from either your school counselor or a teacher from your school. Academic Evaluations submitted via the Common Application will be used towards the requirement and do not need to be resubmitted via the SlideRoom Application. Any additional letters may be submitted via the SlideRoom.
All applicants are required to submit supplemental materials via the SlideRoom Application. Please be sure to submit the correct SlideRoom Application for the program you intend to apply for and your incoming status.
If you apply to more than one SCA program as your 1st choice and 2nd choice major, you must submit a SlideRoom Application for each program.
Select the program(s) you intend to apply for to view SlideRoom Application instructions.