Each year our Summer Program welcomes students from all over the world. Study many aspects of filmmaking from the first and one of most prolific film schools in the United States.
Below are a few pertinent items regarding our Summer Program International Students.
A strong command of idiomatic, conversational English is essential, and thus an important factor in acceptance. Most information is provided to students via lecture as few textbooks exist on the subjects studied or are current enough.TOEFL/IELTS SCORES
International students are required to submit a TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) unless their first language is English or they have a degree from a college or university in an English-speaking country.
- Minimum TOEFL Score: 100
- Minimum IELTS Score: 7
- USC's institution code for TOEFL Registration is 4852. No Department Code.
These scores may not be more than two years old at the time of application.
We offer housing for any students needing accommodations. Applying for housing is a different procedure for adults and minors.
*Please note that housing costs are separate and NOT covered in the student tuition.
- Adult Housing
- 18 years old and up
- Upon acceptance, an informational pack will be sent out via email
- Minor Housing
- 16 and 17 years old
- For more information please view the Information for Minors web page
USC requires its short-term limited status scholars to have appropriate documentation in order to take summer courses. Accepted students may apply for an F-1 temporary student visa from USC. Students may not study within our program under a tourist visa (ESTA Visa Waiver, B1/B2). Please see below for other accepted visas.
F-1 VISA PROCESS
- Upon acceptance in the program, documents and instructions will be sent to start the process
- All required documents must be submitted in a timely fashion in order to avoid time constraints preventing issuance of the visa.
- An email invoice will be sent with the USC procssing fee.
- Once the processing fee has been paid, an I-20 will be created by USC.
- Using your SEVIS number, make a visa appointment with the US Embassy/Consulate.
- The F-1 visa must be obtained outside of the United States.
- Students must enter the USA with the F-1 visa for the USC Summer Program.
- Copy of the student's passport
- Proof of existing insurance and medical coverage
- Proof of funding
- Documents that provide proof of funds to cover both the student's full tuition and $3000 of living expenses, which include room and board.
There are a few fees associated with the F1 process. Including the USC I-20 processing fee and the SEVIS fee, which can total up to $600 USD.
*If the student has enter the USA on a different visa, the student is required to leave and re-enter the USA on the F-1 visa.*
OTHER ACCEPTED VISAS
- F-1 visa (from any USA school)
- J-1 visa
- O-1 visa
- E-2 visa
Green Card/Permanent Resident Card students are also welcome to apply.
If you have questions about other visas, please email the summer program office at firstname.lastname@example.org
The USC Engemann Student Health Center is available for our students to use when any health concerns arise.
Any minor students seeking health services will be required to bring the Parental Consent form. This will provided once the student has been accepted into the program.
We do NOT recommend that our Summer Program students purchase a summer meal plan as they are very costly, restrictive and not conducive to the rigorous class schedules of the students.
USC has several dining options on and directly off campus, including the brand new University Village. These meals can be paid for with cash, credit/debit card, or by using the USC student ID card.
*Please note that meal costs are NOT included in the student tuition.
The University determines tuition and it is based on the number of units in your desired class. Summer 2018 tuition at USC is $1,800.00 (USD) per unit. You can multiply that by the number of units you are going to sign up for, to determine your base tuition cost.
For example, a two-unit class would be $3,600.00 (USD) for tuition only.
2 units x $1,800.00 = $3,600.00
4 units x $1,800.00 = $7,200.00
6 units x $1,800.00 = $10,800.00
8 units x $1,800.00 = $14,400.00
At the beginning of each online detailed class description you will find the number of units for each class as well as the dates, days and times it meets.
ACTIVITIES AND SPECIAL SEMINARS
- Access to the University's Lyons Fitness Center and the University Village Fitness Center
- Access to the Uytengsu Aquatics Center
- Special events with industry guests
- Pre-release movie screenings
- Special workshops and seminars
We do not schedule many activities for the minor student outside of their field of study given the rigorous academic schedule. When students are not in class they are prepping and filming projects, writing, producing and editing.
All International students are required to provide certain documents before starting classes. A list of the documents will be provided prior to arrival. All documents must be given to the Student Service Coordinator following the Mandatory Student Orientation.
Mandatory Student Orientation: Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 2:00 pm
Upon acceptance into the Summer Program, several information packets will be emailed to each students and parents/legal guardians before the start of the program. Each packet will contain important information and required forms.
The first information packet will be emailed approximately 2-4 weeks after acceptance.
This packet will include the following required form:
- Demographic Information form (required)
FITNESS CENTER WAIVERS
All students will need to sign a waiver in order to access any of USC Recreational Facilities, such as the gym and swimming pool. Instructions on how to set this up will be given in the information packets that will be sent out upon acceptance.
SUMMER PROGRAM CONTACT INFORMATION
For more information please email the office at email@example.com.
Thank you and we look forward to seeing you in Summer 2018.