Music Video Production
Student Level: Beginning
Sorry, there are currently no sections scheduled for this class
Music video is the perfect balance of art and commerce, and this class covers everything from production elements to how the industry works, as well as encompassing how music video can serve as the perfect production training ground for other formats. Many of the most innovative and established feature directors got their start in music video (David Fincher, Michel Gondry, Spike Jonze), and honing narrative talents through a visual medium is another focus of the class.
Writing and pitching music video treatments, creating distinctive imagery on low budgets, directing talent, gaining representation and navigating the video industry are the primary focus, with additional time spent analyzing notable videos and working in class brainstorming, blocking, shooting and creatively approaching new concepts.
Each student will be conceptualizing and directing their own music video through the duration of the course, and will receive pointers on cinematography, production design, editing, etc. as it unfolds.
- Chris Milk (Video: Kanye West)
- Dave Meyers (Video: Missy Elliott)
- Joseph Kahn (Video: Britney Spears)
- Mark Romanek (Video: Madonna)
- Mark Pellington (Video: Foo Fighters)
- Walter Robot (Video: Death Cab for Cutie)
- Brad Rushing (Video: Mariah Carey)
- Jonathan Sela (Video: Beyonce)
- Simon Thirlaway (Video: The Raconteurs)
- Andrew Shulkind (Video: Simian Mobile Disco)
- David Blackburn (Video: Blink 182)
- Dustin Robertson (Video: Jennifer Lopez)
- Fernando Villena (Video: Joss Stone)
As well as numerous video commissioners and directors' reps from Interscope, Warner Bros Records, Virgin Records, Radical Media, Partizan and Black Dog Films.
*Please note that dates and times of the course are subject to minor changes. Projects are created outside of schedueled class time. Additional tutorials are taught during outside hours.*