Undergraduate advisement for Cinematic Arts majors - Fall 2015
- All Cinema & Media Studies and production majors should meet with an advisor in the Student Affairs office once a semester to review their progress and plan their schedule for the upcoming term. Writing, animation and interactive entertainment majors meet with their division advisors.
- SCA students who have earned fewer than 24 units at USC will have a registration hold and are required to meet with an advisor before the hold can be lifted and they can register for classes.
- Registration appointment times for Fall 2010 will be posted on OASIS on March 12.
Scheduling an advisement appointment
- Priority for advisement appointments is based on seniority, which is determined by units earned (both transfer and USC) prior to Spring 2010. Units that are currently in progress are not considered earned and do not count toward your eligibility. Check your STARS report on OASIS to verify your unit total.
- Cinema & Media Studies and production majors: to make an appointment, call 213.740.8358 or come by the Student Affairs office, CTV G130.
- Writing majors: contact Kristen Davis in the Writing Division at 213.740.3303.
- Interactive entertainment majors: contact Charlotte Riffey in the Interactive Media Division at 213.740.6797.
- Animation majors: will be directly contacted via email by their advisor and asked to sign up for an advising appointment based on seniority. For additional questions, please contact Daphne Sigismondi in the John C. Hench Division of Animation & Digital Arts at 213.740.3986.
Note: Academic advisement is not available on a walk-in basis.
Cinema & Media Studies and production students can call-in or stop-in to schedule an advisement appointment according to the following schedule. Please note, your call-in date is different than your registration or advisement date. Your advisement appointment will be scheduled for 2 - 3 weeks after you call-in.
- Seniors (96 or more units earned) Monday, March 1
- Juniors (64-95 units earned) Wednesday, March 3
- Sophomores (32-63 units earned) Friday, March 5
- Freshmen (0-31 units earned) Tuesday, March 9
Special instructions for production students
If you plan to take the production sequence (CTPR 241, 242, 290, and CTWR 413) in fall 2010, you must indicate that when you make your appointment.
To qualify to take these classes, you must complete the following:
- Earn 48 units by the end of Spring 2010
- Three semesters of full-time enrollment at USC
- WRIT 140
- The Foreign Language Skill Level requirement
- The Diversity requirement
- Either the six General Education categories or the Thematic Option Core and Theme requirements
There will be a mandatory safety seminar for all students taking CTPR 241 and 290. Information on dates and times for the seminar will be available at advisement. Students must attend this seminar to be eligible to check out equipment, use facilities, and procure insurance.
Special instructions for Cinema & Media Studies students
- If you plan to take CTPR 241 and CTPR 290 in Fall 2010 you must indicate that when you make your appointment.
- To qualify to take these classes you must have earned 64 units by the end of Spring 2010.
- D-clearances for CTPR 241 and CTPR 290 will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. There is no guarantee you will be able to take these courses in the spring.
- There will be a mandatory safety seminar for all students taking the beginning production sequence. Information on dates and times for the seminar will be available at advisement. Students must attend this seminar to be eligible to check out equipment, use facilities, and procure insurance.
Please come to your appointment with a plan of what you intend to take in the spring. Refer to your previous advisement sheet and the latest STARS report, which is available on OASIS.
Be on time
If you are more then 10 minutes late for your advisement appointment you will have to reschedule. You will be given the next available appointment, which could be days or weeks later. There will be no exceptions, even if you will not be able to register until after your registration appointment time.
Call in cancellations
Please call us and reschedule if you know you can't make your appointment.