February 6, 2017
Immersive Journalism and the Future of Spatial Narrative Using Virtual Reality
Due to the popularity of this workshop from last semester, we are happy to offer this workshop again on February 27,
March 24, April 14 and April 28.
Join award-winning documentary filmmaker, former Newsweek correspondent and immersive journalism virtual reality pioneer, Nonny de la Peña for a virtual reality workshop at her studio in Santa Monica. Immersive journalism uses virtual reality and 3D technologies to convey the sights, sounds and feelings of the news. Nonny will facilitate exploration of spatial narrative in virtual reality through examples such as the World Economic Forum commissioned Project Syria, an immersive journalism piece focused on the plight of Syrian civil war refugees; the Indiecade Impact Award winner Use of Force, which takes you San Diego when border patrol commits a homicide of innocent migrant; and Kiya, a story about domestic violence. You will have the opportunity to personally engage with these stories, creating a sense of “being there.” Using this cutting edge field of journalism as a road map, attendees will be asked to consider questions such as:
- What stories lend themselves best to virtual reality formats?
- What stories have shifted the interactive landscape? How and why did they break through?
- Does virtual reality allow us to see the world differently than other forms?
- How do you characterize the relationship between the artist and the work, the audience, the community? Is it different for artists working in non-interactive forms?
- How should we think about distribution for virtual reality storytelling? Will audiences ever pay for this kind of content? Is there a nascent business model we have yet to discover?
- Do the new templates & tools for making virtual reality foster creative cloning -- or level the playing field so more creators can explore new modes of storytelling?
- Finally, what does the future of virtual reality look like?
All workshops will be held at the Emblematic Group lab space:
1947 EUCLID STREET
SANTA MONICA, CA 90404
Dates and Times:
- February 27, 2017, 3:00pm - 6:00pm
March 24, 2017, 3:00pm - 6:00pm
- April 14, 2017, 3:00pm - 6:00pm
- April 28, 2017, 3:00pm - 6:00pm
To attend, you must RSVP. Each workshop is limited to 14 participants.
Name: Elizabeth Ramsey