The USC School of Cinematic Arts believes a diverse and inclusive learning environment is important for the success of our institution and our industry. We embrace our role in preparing the next generation of media creators and scholars, who come from diverse communities within the United States and around the world. As future media industry leaders, their viewpoints will reflect and shape our culture in unprecedented ways.
The role of the SCA Council on Diversity & Inclusion is to promote and support inclusivity among students, faculty, staff, alumni, parents, friends and industry partners. We urge each member of the SCA Family to participate in creating a learning environment that respects all creative voices.
The School of Cinematic Arts believes everyone in our community is accountable for creating and maintaining diverse creative spaces. We subscribe to the following values and practices:
- Everyone benefits from diversity of voices in SCA classes and workspaces.
- We seek diverse candidates in our hiring of faculty and staff.
- Diversity includes being supportive of backgrounds and views other than your own; hate speech will not be tolerated.
- We uphold freedom of expression by encouraging different perspectives and creative approaches, and by fostering an environment of open dialogue.
- Learning happens in multiple directions—between teachers and students, artists and audiences, scholars and consumers.
- SCA’s advancement efforts, including those aimed at scholarships and extracurricular programs, should foster diversity and inclusion.
- We support industry partners’ efforts to create opportunities for underrepresented media makers.
- We recognize and celebrate the global impact of our education and media endeavors, and welcome international approaches to media scholarship and creation.
Our culture is making strides towards a more inclusive society and so is SCA. We are committed to doing our part to make the cinematic arts as diverse as the audiences that are engaged and inspired by the power of our media.
The Council on Diversity & Inclusion meets the fourth Wednesday of every month from 3-5pm. The second hour of the meeting is open to any SCA students, staff or faculty who wish to attend.
For additional information please contact the council.
Christine Acham, Cinema & Media Studies (Co-Chair)
Helaine Head, Production (Co-Chair)
Don Bohlinger, Screenwriting
Cedric Berry, Production
Keryl Brown, Stark Producing Program
Pam Douglas, Screenwriting
Mike Fink, Production
Everett Lewis, Animation and Production
Akira Lippit, Cinema & Media Studies
Doe Mayer, Production
Stacy Patterson, MA+P
Philana Payton, Student, Cinema & Media Studies
Desa Philadelphia, Communications
Elizabeth Ramsey, MA+P
Michael Renov, Cinema & Media Studies
Bonnie Ruberg, IMGD
Sonia Seetharaman, MA+P
Sam Shaib, Student, Production
Mary Sweeney, Screenwriting
Michael Taylor, Production
Alicia White, Cinema & Media Studies
Claudia Walters, Production